Practical Information & How to Contact us


A valid passport, (with six months validity after travel) is required for travel to New Caledonia. Please check out to determine whether you need to apply for a visa to enter New Caledonia.    New Caledonia is part of the “French overseas collectivities and territories (CTOM)”. From their website:

1. Short stays

The maximum duration of a short-stay visa is 90 days.

Exempt from visa requirements are nationals of the following countries:

  • Nationals of the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA), and Switzerland;
  • Albania*, Andorra, Anguilla and British Virgin Islands-Tortola (only Wallis and Futuna), Antigua and Barbuda (except for Wallis   and Futuna), Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Bolivia, Bosnia*, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Holy See, Honduras, Israel, Macedonia*, Malaysia, Mauritius, Monaco, Montenegro*, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Serbia*, Seychelles, Taiwan (passport bearing identity card number), Tonga (only for French Polynesia and Wallis and Futuna), Uruguay, Vanuatu (only for French Polynesia and Wallis and Futuna) and (except for Mayotte) Federated States of Micronesia, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Palau, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu; *bearers of biometric passports only
  • Nationals of the following countries: Australia, Brazil, Japan, Mexico, Singapore, South Korea, United States, Venezuela.This exemption does not apply in the case of gainful employment in a CTOM;
  • Bearers of passports of the Hong Kong special administrative region (People’s Republic of China) and the Macau special administrative region (People’s Republic of China). This exemption does not apply in the case of gainful employment in a CTOM;
  • holders of a valid residence permit issued by the Préfet of a French overseas département, the High Commissioner of a French territorial collectivity or a Schengen state;
  • Holders of a special card issued by the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs to the staff of diplomatic and consular missions.

2. Long stays

Only nationals of the following countries are exempt from entry and long-stay visa requirements: Member States of the European Union and the European Economic Area (EEA), Andorra and Monaco.

Read more at:

For confirmation  refer to French embassies and consulates in your area.

Check here for the list:


New Caledonia has a temperate climate with two main seasons;  it’s cold from June to August, then begins to warm up during September and October. Hot weather kicks in around mid-November to mid-April. Water temperatures drop to 21°C in the cold season, and average air temperatures are around 24°C during the day and 15°C at night. In the hot season average maximum temperatures vary between 26°C and 30°C.

Weather Forecasts:



  • Currency – the New Caledonian currency is called the French Pacific Francs (XPF or CFP)
  • ATMs can be found either inside or outside of most banks
  • Credit Cards – Major credit cards are accepted by restaurents,  big shops, hotels and airlines. They are  not usually accepted at budget places outside of Noumea.
  • Currency exchange – currency can be exchanged at the arrivals lounge at the international airport or in banks in Noumea. It is advisable to carry cash in major currencies like the United States Dollars, Euro, Australian Dollars etc


Tipping is not compulsory nor expected, though you can tip if you would like to.


French is the  official language, however many people speak English too.


Any questions?

Send your request to

Your friendly librarians at SPC will help you.